Since its foundation, the Aristide Cavaillé-Coll Association has been intent on promoting knowledge of Cavaillé-Coll’s work and its context by organizing symposia or study sessions dealing with different themes touching on the work of this famous organbuilder and its context. These events have usually included at least one concert of music for organ or even chamber and church music, shedding aural light, as it were, on the scientific discussion during the various papers read. The goal has been to reveal high-quality music that constituted Aristide Cavaillé-Coll’s artistic environment. From 2000 material for our journal La Flûte Harmonique was often supplied by the proceedings of these various meetings.
The list of symposia and study sessions organized or co-organized by the association includes the following events (all original titles are in French):
- 1999: International Symposium for the centenary of the death of A. Cavaillé-Coll [in collaboration with the French Ministry of Culture) • Saint-Denis and Paris
- 2000 (17-18 November): International Symposium “La Chapelle de la Sorbonne et son Orgue Dallery” (in collaboration with the Observatoire musical français of the University of Paris IV-Sorbonne) • Paris • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique no. 81/82
- 2002 (25-26 October): Study session “The accompanimental organ in the 19th-century Church: technique, esthetics, repertoty” • Paris • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique no. 85/86
- 2003 (October 24-26): Study session “The Surets and the Parisian organ scene in 1850” • Paris (Sainte-Élisabeth) • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique no. 87
- 2004 (22-23 October): Study session “The Grand-Orgue of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois in Paris. History, Situation, Perspectives” • Paris (Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois) • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique no. 88
- 2005 (3-4 September): Study session “Between Tradition and Modernity: The Organ in France between 1900 and 1930” • Saint-Étienne (Loire) • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique No. 89
- 2006 (23-25 November): Study session “The organ and its music in France between the two world wars” • Paris and Reims • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique no. 90
- 2015 (23-25 October): Study session “Which future for the Cavaillé-Coll organ in the Cathedral of Luçon” • Luçon (Vendée) – Collaboration with the association Jeux d’Orgues à la Cathédrale de Luçon • Proceedings: La Flûte Harmonique, No. 97
The series is not over and other such events for the future are under consideration.